Subject: [Leica] Adobe kills Creative Suite – all future features online only • The Register
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 14:45:57 +1000

Jayanand, Cloud based applications are becoming more prevalent for good or
worse. Not unique to Adobe though. Microsoft being the 800 lb gorilla of
course. Your two favourite companies I think ;-)
DNG of course is what we have from Leicas so I don't think it helps much to
rail against it on a nominally Leica list . The format makes perfect sense
for the small company.
There's no endless debate on Canon/Nikon openly publishing their proprietary
Raw data. Nikon at least do not. Nikon have issued joint statements with
Adobe in the past. You can use Adobe applications with Nikon NEF files
natively or you can convert them to DNG. Nikon requires you to have their
software to access the encrypted WB information. How is their proprietary
format not a monopoly and Adobe's documented open standard that any company
can implement for free a monopoly?
I shoot quite a bit with my D600 and had the D7000 before that. As is
obvious they do some things better than M's. Personally I have never
observed any practical differences comparing the original NEF's and DNG's
converted from them. I don't care at all about their encrypted WB
information either. I do prefer some of the advantages of the DNG's for my
workflow. That is only personal choice though. I never installed the free
version of the Nikon software at all and paying more for their full featured
version doesn't make sense to me when I already use LR anyway. I'm sure that
there are many people content with the Nikon offerings only.
cheers
Geoff