Subject: [Leica] Get ready for the M Type 240 Nirvana
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:10:38 +1000
References: <CAF8hL-GeO-kTQ34S5Om__DE14NOcuu5TvkM7HvGEOQrhwq1ndw@mail.gmail.com> <5C0568D4-2D9C-4748-BCCA-8E127CDFD8E4@frozenlight.eu> <CAF8hL-EYZFRKtJ5V-6g2_S53Mc7nY3KNcBnHNpcc4R_wEEAADw@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF4XMsBBYc4pQAo1Z5=fn5pzkBhM5cu18fkxwV+qrU5KAQ@mail.gmail.com> <84D90F98CE8942B7947C016ECB3F3AFB@billHP> <C169FBB8-E2AB-4711-9284-25C559B06465@gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh7_rU2rtkGZpR92L=5BdQjYabR9Z_jwLDuKbSsR72mwrw@mail.gmail.com>

It is an odd atmosphere in that report. I think overly harsh commentary on
the M8 and M9 whilst ascribing almost mythical properties to the M. Some of
that is quite contradictory, for example the rangefinder function is meant
to have improved accuracy in the M over the predecessors. As far as I know
it is the same mechanism.

For me it is socially interesting that an article largely lauding the new
camera is being discussed for its limitations or the author's competence
where conventional view might be that a forum with some Leica enthusiasts
might praise it. Again I know nothing of the author's photography to judge
by. He may well have a body of fine work for all I know.

The ME M9 M price comparisons are interesting. An M will cost about the
same as an M9 did, here at least and the ME is a significant saving for all
of the performance of the M9. But put the cameras, figures, buyer wants and
expectations side by side and it all changes.

I still have my M9..... but just because I'm waiting on delivery of my M
;-) I view the new design as an M9 with some of its characteristics much
improved (operating speed including lossless DNG compression in camera,
very low light performance, wides performance (in theory) some incremental
improvement (24MP and a number of ergonomic changes) and some options added
that I may use (other focus modes) and some of no relevance to me (video).
The additional focus modes will be an absolute boon...or curse for
measuring of the RF calibration and lens characteristics.

*If you want to take more interesting pictures,
stand in front of more interesting stuff* -- Joe McNally

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman