Subject: [Leica] Nothing else for it
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:22:35 +0930

> If you are 1M (39 inches) away from your subject at the film plane, you are
> standing in their personal space.  If you move to 2 feet away, your lens is
> about 18 inches from their face.  Isn't that a bit close for portraiture?

This is exactly where all my portraits are taken.  Getting inside people's
personal space is my method.  It's the only way I've found that I can get
the intimacy I want:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Rachel/File0846.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Zimbabwe/img555a.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Portraits/File0585.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/MM/S-jr.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/MM/L1000811-Edit.jpg.html

Note: the new incarnation of the 90 Macro Elmar (with the close focus
> attachment) focuses to 0.5M.  Technically, there is a solution.

As I said, the Macro Elmar is too slow for my purposes.

> Do you need to work closer or have a more cropped image of your subject?

I always work inside 1m.  If I want a wider or tighter shot, I change focal
length.

> Is it possible you are using the wrong focal length to get the image you
> desire?  ( 75 instead of a 90 or 135?)

No, I've tried this and it doesn't work for me, including a recent
dalliance with the Leica 135/3.4, which is stunning glass, but I just
didn't get anything I liked with it after working with it for a month or
so.

> Why don't you crop the desired image from the "negative"?

Because I don't get the shots I like, and which people commission me to
take, unless I get in close.

> Why is there a "need" to get closer?  Please explain...

It's what works for me.  I have tried to work with longer lenses further
away, but didn't like the look or the results.

And none of my subjects has ever said they felt intimidated, except when I
tried going completely the other way and did a portrait shoot on the beach
near where I work with a 300/2.8 - intimidating, even if I was 5 m away.  I
guess I am just not very scary.  Kids seem to like me.

The Monochrom is pretty much the perfect camera for me, and if my 75
Summilux focused accurately under 1 m on that camera it would be my perfect
lens.  The 75 Summicron is very good, but I like the extra stop and the
softness.  I'll send my Summilux off and then I ought to be set, providing
it can be calibrated to focus accurately enough where I want it to focus.

Later,

Marty

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Nothing else for it)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Nothing else for it)