Subject: [Leica] Grey Crowned Cranes
From: cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:07:18 +0100

Again beautifull pictures. I love these cranes.

I had the chance to meet such African cranebirds a few years ago. They
evidently saw me and I could approach them after some time without
problems to take several pictures. I had the impression they liked to
be admired and seemed to start a catwalk before my lens, they gave me
a real show.

I had the same experience with another species "Ciconia Ciconia" i.e.
the white ones you see in most coastal areas in Europe. Just at the
end of summer they migrate to Africa. Even 6 months old birds cross
Europe from North to South in just 2 days. It's a real pleasure to
observe and photograph them. Sometimes they even paraded before my
camera like the Swiss Guards in Rome in front of the Vatican when they
see tourists with cameras.

They are not like their cousins, the black ones "Cicogna Nigra" who
live in the woods. They are shy, avoid the presence of humans and even
hate to be observed or photographed. I never succeeded in
photographing them because you can only see them when they are in
their nest, so you better leave them alone. Biologists thougt they had
almost disappeared from Europe. One day when I was out hunting in the
woods I saw a couple and their nest. I immediatley left the place. I
said his to an official guard I knew well. We could keep it secret for
about 10 years. Over the years the population grew discreetly in this
forest. They were finally discovered by so called ecologists who
started a real pilgrimage. The birds disappeared and never came back.

Regards

Cedric