Subject: [Leica] IMG: basketball at f1.0
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:59:12 +0100

 From Ted, in another thread ;-)

Adam mon ami,
I have shot literally hundreds of basketball games during my years and
there truly is only "ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING NECESSARY!" Actually not
one bit of it techie.... film or digital! A meter reading for the area
right under the basket which 99.9999 % of the time is equal both ends
of the court! Yes I know to each his own in keeping records! And it's
a whole new world of digi shooting.

I can never understand what all the digi stuff means anyway cause the
only thing important is....... "The basket, the player-players and
ball going in the basket!" GAME OVER! :-) Anything else that might
apply at a different school that might be applied? Probably wont! :-)
But then I never paid any attention to all the things so many on list
do these days. My one and only thing was and still is a "SUCCESSFUL
PHOTOGRAPH OF THE MOMENT! CLICK."

Details? Haven't got a clue unless it were a special effect giving the
appearance of speed of runners in a race." Then the slow shutter speed
is a "DETAIL THAT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN!" And usually 1/30th works not bad
while shooting about half way down the track as they blow by you and
you pan with them at the same speed they're running! A great swishy-
panned background making them look like they're running a 100 miles an
hour! :-) :-)

You have the light-meter reading for either end of the court, then set
the cameras you are using the same! You focus the one in your hands
with the correct distance sitting on the floor off court so you are
slightly past a direct line to the basket. This allows excellent photo
options of player coming in on attack from far side or straight in and
jumping or great jump shots to put the  ball in the basket. This isn't
sitting at the end of the court looking at them running at you. It's
on the sideline on the floor.

In this position walk in to the gym like you own the court, sit down
on the floor looking like "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!"  About a
yard or 3-4 feet back from the courtline. This is high school basket
ball not the NBA where one might say that's a whole different ball
game where you shoot from. Their rules! :-) :-) :-)

The lenses are set the same on each camera and given you are using the
Noctilux and manual focus on action away from the basket area of the
floor you've done a smashing great job on these!

Actually one can cover a game with one camera and one lens as all you
want is the ball being dunked and points scored! You pick the team
most likely to win and you go to their opponents basket end and shoot
there during the first half........ then move to the other end at half
time, that is depending on the score. A decision made at half time in
most cases.

That's it until the whistle blows and it's .... "GAME OVER!"  :-)

You still have done a very fine shoot through-out this whole series.
The most imporatant thing is....... "The ball, the basket and points
being scored!"  hardly anything else is worth shooting unless it's
part of the entertainment." :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Hope this helps

Amiti?s to all
Philippe

Le 20 mars 13 ? 19:32, Adam Bridge a ?crit :