Subject: [Leica] The History of the Personal Computer
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 08:43:59 -0800

The account I wrote was based on a tour I give at the Computer History
Museum. The theme of the tour was devices which had a profound side effect,
e.g., without the Altair event, there might have not been a Microsoft
corporation, the Apples generated another huge corporation, the PC inspired
clones and took over the business world, and, finally, the Mac, in addition
being the first (I have been told) to have facilities for photo processing,
inspired the creation by Microsoft of Windows.

Left out, among others, were some very popular devices, e.g. the Commodore
64 and a personal favorite, the Commodore Pet.

I must mention something that really frightened me. In 2001, I had fancy
radiation therapy for prostate cancer. One session was long delayed because
of a problem with the computer that controlled the machine. I asked what it
was, and the scary answer was a PC running Windows 2000.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204