Subject: [Leica] simple intellectual property question
From: jmilton2 at maine.rr.com (Jack Milton)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 16:39:55 -0500

Hi Ken,
 I'm not a lawyer, but the photo editor at a daily newspaper. I have spoken
to a lawyer about photos on Facebook. Facebook, and any other photo sharing
Web site, and your ISP, for that matter, is just trying to protect itself by
saying that if you post a photo, or other content on FB, FB has the *right*
to display that photo. It seems a simple enough concept?why would FB need
legal permission to display content that you've upload to FB for the very
purpose of displaying it, but that's what's happened in our litigious
society.

 Of far more concern to any content producer, is what can happen to your
content (photo) if you post it anywhere on the Internet, or even send it in
an email to someone you know. It's just TOO easy to "share" (steal) that
content and use it for some other purpose. That shouldn't stop you from
posting your photos on FB, or the LUG  gallery, or anywhere else. Just be
aware that you're giving up a lot of control over what happens to that
content once you press that Send or OK button.

 If you're a photographer who is trying to make a living from your
photographs, you probably shouldn't post anything that might help make that
living for you. Share them with your clients, your agency, your employer.
Use them to advertise you skills. The rest can be posted anywhere you like
to entertain your friends and the world, just expect them to show up in
unexpected places.

Jack Milton

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] simple intellectual property question)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] simple intellectual property question)