Subject: [Leica] Shanghai market part 2
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 03:14:49 -0500

When they say in effect if your work is weak get closer they're not saying
crop more. They're saying  get closer.
I think the reason why both press and street photographers have gone wide
and close in their work is the rapport they have with their subjects while
doing it. To be off shooting them from across the street is in a way creepy
and ineffective. For decades its been a close in kind of deal.

Don't recall you mentioning, Frank  working with lens like  an older version
of the just announced Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm F3.5-4.5G ED  which is a
full frame version of the 12-24 f4 DX's from a few years ago which I have a
lot of experience with. And a more advanced updated version of the
venerable Leica 21mm?35mm f/3.5?f/4.0 Vario-Elmar-R zoom .
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/21mm?35mm_f/3.5?f/4.0_
Vario-Elmar-R

The reason a press photog goes with a wide for a hundred years now is so the
other cameras are not in front of him but working in the street more
recently its about the  other people are in the way not  so much other
photographers.  Street shooters like to be in the center of the action so
they can pic who is in the center of their fame. The dynamics are way more
lively. Its not the crowd across the street its the guy real big in the
frame in the foreground and the other guys are real small and sure off to
the side they have watermelons for heads but we're all good with that by
now.

I thought it was by the way a simple issue at day one period of the Graflex
SLR giving way to the Speed Graphics to avoid getting the backs of other
photographers in the very early Part of the last century.
But it was also the Speed Graphics giving way to the Crown graphics which
were thinner with no focal plane shutter enabling the use of wider glass.
And that was in 1947.

On 1/31/13 2:34 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Why do you think that a longer lens is weaker?
> IMO the perspective distortion inevitable in WA lenses is poor for people
> shots, and even though the hideous technical difficulty of producing a
> reasonably sharp WA lens has been largely solved, they are still very
> expensive for what you get.
> I can understand a press photographer using one when there are 5 billion
> other
> photographers milling around the same subject, get in front of the others
> and
> still get everything in, but it is just that - get the news shot, not get a
> -good- shot. IMHO of course.
>
> If you get close in with a WA lens you are in peoples faces, which is rude
> (maybe its just my upbringing), and you get ugly shots.
>
> IMO the -only- reason anybody would use WA for people is the press guy
> needing
> to get the shot in crowded conditions.
> FD
>
> On 31 Jan, 2013, at 05:47, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Seriously it looks like you had a 50mm viewfinder in your hot shoe and a
>> 24mm lens in your camera and now your fixing it. The cropped versions are
>> successful images. They came out even better than I thought.
>> You need to stand closer to what your shooting.
>> A second option being shoot with a longer lens but I do feel that's way
>> weaker.
>>

>> On 1/30/13 5:08 PM, "David English" <daveenglish at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> For you who have viewed this collection before and made constructive
>>> comments
>>> I went ahead and made the suggested adjustments on many of the photos. I
>>> posted the before and after right next to each other so you can swing
>>> back
>>> and