Subject: [Leica] more R9/DMR
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:51:23 -0500

> Hi All- When I sent my R9/DMr to Leica NJ, it was sent to the Leica
> factory (Solms?) for the repair I had requested. The R9 shutter curtains
> had folded up. I requested the R9 repair (which they did-$925) and I
> thought they would check the combination- R9 with DMR attached after the
> repair. Maybe they did.  The DMR was not broken when I sent it in and
> works fine upon receipt.  The info I got was that they could not work on
> DMR's any more. Today I read that  Doug's DMR was repaired at the factory.
> Hopefully my DMR keeps working - or I'll need the DRM repair man in
> England. If it goes south- not sure what I'd do. I have a dozen R lenses.
> Not keen on starting with any new systems. Like some one wrote - we need
> the schematic/ parts list for the DMR. I'm sure there are electronics
> experts here in the states that could trouble shoot and repair the units
> when they expire.  Stasys

Leica would probably give you the schematic, but will Imacon? I really
don't understand why they should not be required to supply the information
if they are not prepared to do the work on the equipment themselves. I
think this 'hoarding' of copyright is wrong. Apple did with the Newton and
I thought it was really stupid. If you don't want the stuff fine, but you
should not be able to stop others from using it. Again our society needs
to think about repairing stuff in a different light. I hate throwing
anything away and abhor the current mind set, but that is the way we have
chosen to go.

Cheers

Alastair