Subject: [Leica] Leica shopping
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 07:11:09 -0500

I went out today shopping. Initially we went to icebreaker seconds shop. I
love the icebreaker woolen gear. Its from NZ, but now all made in China.
Its still wonderful, and I spent too much: 2 running shirts, one nice
coat, one fleece coat and some socks, then it was on to the city.

I'm not a big Michael's fan. However, they are one of the few surviving
camera shops in Melbourne, so if you want old fashioned shopping you
should buy from them. So I went there. I would trade in my M9 on the Mono,
and order an M240. But as usual, I was left cold. Nothing to really
complain about, but nothing to inspire. There are not really any places
left in Melbourne that deserve my 'custom'. So we walked away. The days of
spending hours in the shop drooling over the gear are GONE. So re-adjust
and make the best of what is left.

Things have changes so quickly in the last 10 years. When I look back, the
FOM  project really marked a turning point in photography. Those years saw
teh professionals moving to digital and the world changing. Now there is
little argument, digital files are dominant, and even iff they are not
better, you cannot get anyone to develop your film for you. So do it
yourself. Well I'm here to say I'm not sure where I'd find the time to do
the development.

So time to re-think. Time to go back to basics. What to I want or need to
photograph and what is the best way of doing that now? I need to find
projects which inspire me. Its now nearly 100 years since the leica 35 hit
the streets. Leica have some very good and innovative products on the
line, but they are a small company. This will be another very interesting
year.

Alastair

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Leica shopping)
Message from foto at marcdufour.net (Marc Dufour) ([Leica] People Shots)