Subject: [Leica] Gun Control
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:13:07 -0800

Good article.

I can't even let my mind touch the subject of how horrible this was for the
little children or is for the survivors.  It's stunning how dramatically
one's life can change in an instant.

My best friend of 19 years was killed in an accident 30 years ago.  I have
never fully gotten over losing him or the shock of hearing his little girl
answer my question "Is something the matter?" with "Well, Dad died." I was
certain for days afterward, maybe weeks, that I had missed some essential
point, some tiny, little, seemingly insignificant detail lost among the
welter of facts and sensations and thoughts that if grasped, if shaken loose
from the confusing background in which it was mired, I would see how
profoundly mistaken I had been, that he was really alive, still alive, and
that I could call him and we could punch each other in the shoulder, have a
beer and some laughs just like we used to.  Why, there it was, the sound of
the diesel engine as a Rabbit pulled into the church parking lot at the
funeral service, his car.  But, of course, it wasn't from his car in spite
of the momentary flood of relief that washed over me when I knew he was
back.  And time went by, and I grieved, as we all do, through the stages,
until I got to acceptance.

And I miss him.  Thirty years later, I still miss him, and the tears
streaming down my face as I write this are a reminder of how deep the wound
still is and why I never talk about it in any but the most superficial
detail.

And these...these victims of the school shooting were just little children
who could hardly have understood why something so horrible was being done to
them as they were being killed on purpose by what will pass for as close to
a monster as the real world without fairies, ghosts, and goblins will ever
see.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone