Subject: [Leica] [Lexica] Gun control
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 15:21:34 -0500

My little sisters still live in New Mexico. One is 17, the other is 24.
They are both social and hang out at the usual social gatherings that
young people do. Except in New Mexico there is at least one firearm in
almost every house, especially out on the eastern plains which is
ranching country. For the most part everyone is very responsible with
firearms but there are always the times when kids will get a bit crazy
and go out shooting into a hillshide or at bottles on fenceposts during
a party.
So, a few years ago I talked with my dad and we agreed that we can't
stop teenage behavior but we can teach my youngest siblings to be
responsible with firearms if they were ever in a social situation and
one came out of the cabinet. We took them shooting and taught them the
manual of arms for shotguns, bolt action rifles, revolvers and
semi-automatic handguns. They don't want anything to do with firearms
but we stressed that safety was the first thing and that they had the
responsibility to learn and know how to be really safe around firearms.
So now they know how to shoot well, handle small arms, store them,
clean them, and no one has been hurt in the process of educating them.
Since then, a hammer has proven to be quite a bit more dangerous to
myself and my dad as we've both smashed fingers here and there.

Phil Forrest