Subject: [Leica] Colorado - Durango to Silverton RR
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:49:56 -0800

When we were in Colorado in late September we splurged and took the narrow
gauge RR from Durango to Silverton.  I enjoyed it, but my wife and her dad
didn't.  Partly due to the weather. We were told the day before to dress for
the morning temperature and then be prepared to peal off layers as it would
be warmer and sunny in Silverton. Well, we dressed for the weather when we
got up, but on the way it got colder and began to rain pretty good. I am
always warm so it did not bother me, but they were a bit uncomfortable,
especially two or three miles from Silverton when the wind came up and blew
the rain into the open car we were in. Got pretty soaked. We did have rain
gear, back in the campground....

The depot:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4439.jpg.html

Last minute cleaning:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4452.jpg.html

Winding up the valley:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4478.jpg.html

We were in one of the open cars like seen in this.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4479.jpg.html

Brilliant fall color, enhanced by the rain.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4534.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4533.jpg.html

At times the rock wall was quite close and we were warned about leaning out
taking pictures.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4491.jpg.html

All bundled up, before the wind and rain.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4528.jpg.html

The train stops right in the middle of the street in Silverton
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4547.jpg.html

Preparing for the return trip.  We took the bus back instead of the train.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4577.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4549.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f12/co/t/Train+ride-4572.jpg.html

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired (retarded?) Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Colorado - Durango to Silverton RR)
Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Colorado - Durango to Silverton RR)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Colorado - Durango to Silverton RR)