Subject: [Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use READ RESPONSE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 16:48:23 -0800

jon.streeter OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use READ RESPONSE!

> Fascinating insight, Dr. Grant.  These are issues I've been curious about.
> And hearing it from you just lends tons of weight to such an opinion.
>
> Years ago I met a man here in the balmy clime of southern California, who
> introduced himself as "Bear," who had said he had completely stopped
> wearing shoes, and that he had discovered that his choice had taken him on
> a path that, shod, he would not have followed.
>
> I've wondered in a similar vein if following my heart by sticking with
> Leicas would lead me on a path I would be glad I had taken.  These days,
> it would probably be the path less taken. <<<<

Hi Jon,
Interesting path to decide on? Given the costs of Leica gear these days
compared to yester year. Still not considered "cheap in those golden olden
days!" But at least within the ability of many common  folk!

In reality of comparison of cost only, not what gear is available today. I,
in truth would have to opt on  C or N. And follow the path the C would lead
me?

Would my "seeing photo moments be any different due to the gear? ?" No, I
don't think so. As that would require "two perfect eyes" instead of the one
only that's allowed me an entirely different perspective compared to the
fortunate person with two good eyes!

Sometimes no "recognition of depth perception" can make a difference.......
"Good, Bad or Ugly?" However I do believe in my case it has always been to
my advantage.  Other than during the days I drove "Stock-cars!" and the guy
in front of me went too slow into a corner??????????????  OOPS!!!!! Big bump
and he slipped off to the right and I quickly slipped by inside! Great
coming in for the final lap and flag! :-)

When questioned I always blamed the guy in front as "he chickened out going
into the corner and backed off too quickly making it impossible for me to
slow before the "OOPS! BUMPsie!" His pit crew always gave me a big argument
after, but I managed to get away with it for several years driving stocks
and sprint cars! :-)

OK Back to modern day LEICA's? I would offer that my income as it was during
my high points of shooting would have to be at it's peak to afford the
prices of today. Given I was often working with 3 M's of some model around
my neck and a couple of motor driven R's off the shoulders.  TODAY?

Not a hope given the costs as they are for both M's (3 of them!) Then add on
a couple of the S2? Let alone lens costs to be added! Just imagine working
with 2 S cameras without lenses and you are looking at about $50,000? With
taxes in Canada! Then a huge amount more for R glass!

Certainly quite difficult and would quite probably put one on a different
path with equipment. How I'd shoot? Not likely any different given the "one
good eye was still functioning as it still is! Thank goodness!" However much
better with the rangefinder M8 than anything else!  :-)

cheers,
ted