Subject: [Leica] Comparison of DMR to Nikon D800E
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:50:04 -0600 (CST)

Frank,

No I have not seen any comparisons of the DMR and D800E.  Can't comment on
the D800, but I do have a D4, and just off the top, the DMR does a fair job
against the D4 for an 8? year old design.  Although I have not made a side
by side comparison of images.  The D4 kills the DMR when it comes to high
ISO, and kills just about anything else in that category.  The D4 is very
waterproof, from recent experience, where the DMR may not be as good, as I
keep it out of the rain when I am not shooting, but it has not had any
glitches when it did get wet, but I worry about the motor to camera
interface not being too water tight.  They are both heavy, pretty close
actually, the DMR on the R8 is a bit shorter than the D4.  Turn on is much
slower with the DMR, and so is write speed.  The buffer on the DMR is very
small, where the D4 buffer is vast and you can shoot rapidly with no problem
of the camera slowing down (great for bird in flight photos), although i
would bet Doug would out do it with the DMR and a single click ;).  The
R8DMR is a bit quieter, noise wise, but the D4 beats the D800 or D700 by
light years in this area.  I prefer the simplicity of the DMR controls over
those of the D4, although the D4 controls are well laid out, when compared
to earlier Nikon DSLRs, and definitely better than Canon DSLRs.  You can get
D4 batteries, where the DMR batteries are rarer than Hen's Teeth, and must
be rebuilt or use an external source if you cannot get them rebuilt.  The
charge also lasts way longer than the DMR's batteries, although they are not
cheap by any measure.  The auto focus on the D4 is simply AMAZING! It locks
on very fast and no hunting at all, even in low light, MF with the D4 and
older MF Nikkors is very good also, as it has a bright view finder (but not
as quite as bright as the R8 I think).  MF on the DMR is getting a bit slow
with my 64 year old eyes, but still works good in most light levels. Build
for both is excellent, but would give the D4 a bit of a nod here, due to the
previously mentioned motor to camera body interface of the DMR.  I will go
out this weekend and do a side by side image test of the two, probably with
the 180/2.8 MF Nikkor, and the 180/3.4 R APO lenses (Similar vintage
lenses), don't have any other similar lenses to compare.  But could do a
comparison of my 35~70R zoom and my 24~70 AF-S Nikkor zoom.  Any thing I
have not covered, that you would like to know?

CHEERS,
Gene