Subject: [Leica] Comparison of DMR to Nikon D800E
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:14:07 -0800

Gene, thanks for a really good all over review.

I think I am most interested in the sensor.... using the same lens bolted in
front.  I realize this is a pretty big request, but without this type of A-B
test, not too much can be told.... we will find out that the 50 year old
Nikkor 105 is exceeded by the 100 APO Macro. In this case, the super duper
180 APO Lens will blow the 180 MF Nikkor out of the water.  Or not.  It is 2
different lenses on 2 different sensors. The important words are 2 and
different.

I am not so interested in purchasing a DMR, but rather, using the DMR as a
(the ?)  standard of excellence, what is the D800e like?

I wished I lived closer, because I would loan you my 400 Telyt in Visoflex
mount.... and the R mount and the Nikon mount.  Then we could compare all 3.
M9 (or to be piggy, M8 too) Nikon D800e and DMR.  Same lens, 3 sensors.
Then we could figure out the IQ differences.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

I will go out this weekend and do a side by side image test of the two,
probably with the 180/2.8 MF Nikkor, and the 180/3.4 R APO lenses (Similar
vintage lenses), don't have any other similar lenses to compare.  But could
do a comparison of my 35~70R zoom and my 24~70 AF-S Nikkor zoom.  Any thing
I have not covered, that you would like to know?

CHEERS,
Gene