Subject: [Leica] Leica in the LUG/ AF
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:29:53 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com>wrote:

>If only it had autofocus...(-:
>It is quite an essential requirement as far as I am concerned. I might have
>bought an entire system, including new lenses if Leica had >gone down that
>road.
>To all of you 60+ year olds with great eyesight, have fun.
>Cheers
>Jayanand
===================================================================================================
I get better results with rangefinder focusing than autofocus, and I've got
64 year old eyes.  I'm routinely frustrated at work with the Canon 5D giving
me soft images.  Doesn't seem to matter if I choose the focus point, let the
camera decide, use front button focus, or back button AF, I just never can
be certain that the subject will be really sharp.  I covered a news
conference today, and even though the speakers were hardly moving, I threw
away a bunch of frames where their eyes were out of focus.  And I don't care
what the specs might say, but in my experience the time lag compared to an M
is too great to get the expression I want.  I get too many frames where a
person is looking down, and I pressed the shutter release when their head
was up.

Maybe the camera knows I'm a Leica guy.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978