Subject: [Leica] IMG - some photos
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 06:22:20 -0800

The state government of California -- even after stealing perhaps $400
million from state citizens' safe-deposit boxes (Google California and
safety deposit boxes) -- has found itself short of money too late to realize
that California's antibusiness policies have driven millions of
entrepreneurs and small businesses out of the state and their potential tax
revenues along with them.  The only recourse, having already killed the
goose that laid the golden eggs, is to cut services and lay off government
workers.  During this period of retrenchment, one agency, a group in charge
of court administration was actually hiring administrative staff, some at
six-figure salaries AND proceeding with its pet project:  a
one-point-two-billion-dollar computer system which nobody liked, some, like
LA County, refused to use, and which the tech people couldn't seem to get to
actually work.  This agency fought off government oversight until last year
and then miraculously "found" $100 million just lying around, then resisted
efforts to make them call a halt to the massive job-killing computer
boondoggle (ironically itself labor intensive) until the legislature, itself
exposed by the press, made them stop.  Too late.  In LA County, 120 court
reporters out of a high of about 700 have lost their jobs, courtrooms have
closed, referees are being let go.  No court reporters are in any of the
civil courtrooms.  Litigants have to pay for their own if they want a
record. And people caught up in the system just have to go with the flow.
People in our courthouse frequently wait all day outside the courtroom, only
to be told their case can't be heard because we've run out of time.  We have
to toss everybody out at 4:30 P.M. because there's not enough money to pay
the sheriffs deputies overtime. And there is talk of further layoffs and
courtroom closures.
I came up with a system to speed workflow.  It was a hit, in theory.  Before
we could implement it, the caseload grew beyond the available facilities'
capability to handle it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone