Subject: [Leica] Coded Flange replacements....
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:49:18 +1030

> All true.  Correct focus is the issue.  However, if your lens was in
> calibration before you changed the flange, then if it is in focus ( at any
> place) after changing the flange, no further testing is required.

Sure, but it takes 2-3 hours to check that it is focusing properly at
all apertures, and that amount of my time is worth way more to me than
the cost of the Leica replacement.

> As I said at first, if your lens is out of calibration to begin with, you
> need a calibration done on the lens.  Why not change the flange before
> sending the lens in, and get that advantage as well....

Sure, but if you're going to send it off to a good technician, it will
get checked and work properly anyway.

> Of course, it is a cost issue... $250 or so with flange at Leica or $100
> plus $20 flange at DAG.   Same end result.

If you're getting it done by DAG he will check and recollimate the
lens if the flange is a slightly different thickness, so it's not an
issue.  I was talking about doing it yourself at home.

I also don't have the option of easily sending things to DAG from
Australia; the cost of sending the lens to the USA would add enough
cost that it would be more expensive than sending it to the Australian
Leica authorised repairer, Camera Clinic.  The additional time I would
be without the lens would also be inconvenient.

Marty

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Coded Flange replacements....)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Coded Flange replacements....)
Message from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Coded Flange replacements....)