Subject: [Leica] 2 years shooting full frame, 9 years digital
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:34:40 -0400

Mine was the so called Leica Digilux1 which is at least what the metadata
says. The camera I'm sure is meant to resemble an Argus c3 this does not in
my mind give it anything resembling classic proportions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argus_C3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_Digilux_1
The files are very difficult to work with they are like files from a bad
scan.
It was day one and I didn't have a clue. Do I  shoot Tiff's or jpegs? I got
more on a roll for sure with jpegs. I think most the files were ruined in
the software they gave you do deal with them. Just flipping the file
sidewise re jpeged them. I think most were re jpeged into oblivion.
I wish I shot more and didn't ruin them but such is the nature of much of
photography. The work I'm doing now is a night and day difference.
Both the files themselves, the software to deal with them starting with
Adobe camera raw three to Bridge and Photoshop CS5 not yet 6. I'm not at all
happy about not having six yet.
Two years to the day of shooting with the D700 every day I see the contrast
between these files and the ones with the D200 and D40x. My iso 6400 files
are better than the D200 and D40x iso 800 files. And I'm pretty sure I have
a pretty good handle on the software now noise and other wise.
It would be great to get into Leica now. I can see it possibly happening my
being able to get my M glass going with a Monochrom or digital M.
Two very enabling and enticing cameras.
I can see either of them very usable after a decade. Not feeling antiquated
after two or three years. Leica digital has finally come into its own. Its a
great time to get into it and a sad time to discontinue it.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography