Subject: [Leica] Urban Oasis
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 07:16:45 +1000

Herbert I think that some perspective is needed on the risks that you
mention. On theft, it is of course entirely what you feel comfortable with.
Yet I'm not convinced that a thief will look to identify the brand and
quality of a visible camera before deciding whether to rob you. I don't
think that the practice of covering your Red Dot makes any difference
either, except for the owners .Situational awareness is important
certainly.

On Nathan's M8, that was one of a tiny handful of reports that I am aware
of, there being tens of thousands of thousands of M8 cameras in circulation
(and some four times as many M9 cameras). All electronics can be vulnerable
to corrosion of course. At the opposite end of that bell curve reside
incidents like that Tina experienced when two M8 cameras were immersed
(along with Tina!) in a muddy flooded stream.. Those worked without fault
after drying out. We know that Tina did also ;-)

Very happily for Nathan, his camera was repaired for free under the
provisions of what is effectively insurance by the distributor rather than
a guarantee covering manufacturing faults. Many markets don't have that
option though.

Nevertheless splash-proofing has become a promoted and asked for feature in
cameras w?th 'serious' aspirations. The big two are there, Pentax and
Olympus have large parts of their campaigns dedicated to this as well.

For Leica Camera the S2 was designed this way from the ground up and the
new M, while looking near identical in shape has actually quite different
body construction to that of the M9. Those O rings are in there now.
Interestingly their engineers have commented that the M lenses require no
redesign for the same utility in that the tolerances are very fine and the
oil effectively prevents moisture ingress. They consider the O ring on lens
mount approach as likely to compromise the precision of the lens register
unacceptably though.

Entirely one personal approach to all of this.
My M9 and some lenses go everywhere with me in what is now a fairly
battered Domke satchel. I exercise normal caution when travelling. I don't
go places where I feel my personal safety is at higher than normal risk.
Why would I? I'm not paid to report from crime-ridden ghettos or war-zones
;-)
Typically if someone does look at my camera when I am shooting they think
of a funny old fashioned 'grandfather'camera or a very few are fellow Leica
shooters
 If you are shooting, your profile is much more about how you work at it
and where rather than whether your camera is valuable.
If it rains a little on my gear when I want to shoot in that situation I
wipe the camera gear off after. If it rains a lot I will be inside admiring
the rain through the window ;-)

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman