Subject: [Leica] OT- ZFS on Linux
From: hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:20:51 -0700

Spencer Cheng writes:
 > [...]
 > I run FreeNas 8.2 (or something like that). I like ZFS for data
 > integrity though managing ZFS is nothing like ext3/4 or any of the
 > other Linux F/S types. There is a learning curve and FreeNas also
 > has a learning curve. ZFS does need lots of memory to run fast. 8GB
 > is the recommended minimum.

It's true that if you want to run a big high-performance filer then
the more memory you have, the merrier.

I have ZFS running reliably on a 2GB Artigo 2000 (32-bit) with a bit
of tuning and on a 4GB Via M-Serve (64-bit) using the default
settings.  The boxes do Time Machine backups and store various
large data files (e.g. backups of various unix machines).

I missed the beginning of the conversation, what is the use case here?

g.