Subject: [Leica] MM - first impressions
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 02:46:06 +0000

Thanks, the meter often looks to go for underexposure (I tried blue sky,
green grass and red container to see if colour mattered). I have some at
camera recommended and also I what I thought from the histogram so will see
which is better on screen. If the latter (go by histogram) then the metering
is very different from the M9.

I did sensitometer tests on FP4+ and TriX many years back to expose for
shadows and develop for highlights (basic zone system) but was always using
a hand-held meter then (incident or spot) with medium format, not sure I
want to do that again for day to day stuff and the M's.....

With hindsight I could have got away with the 0.9ND rather than the 1.8, not
summer yet ;-)

I think it will 35mm Summilux asph FLE tomorrow, get a wider range of
lighting in shot at once. Really just trying to get to understand how it
reacts before flying out (over 27 hours of flight) on Sunday.....

john

Congrats John! I'm totally jealous...
Sorry you have such tough choices to make; life's a bear ;-)
Back in the day, for landscapes anyway, the motto was expose for the
shadows and let the highlights go. With digital color, it's expose to the
right, but don't clip to the right. I wonder what you will find with the MM.
Best of light and congratulations again,
Bob

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] MM - first impressions)
Message from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] MM - first impressions)