Subject: [Leica] IMG: New Travel a speed-walk through Paris
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:30:59 +0100 (BST)

Reminds me of the "divided by a common language" experience I had when I wnt
to Las Vegas for the 1982 Grand Prix. In England a "fag" is a cigarette and
"partying" is what you do on your birthday. Plenty of potential for an
embarassing misunderstanding. One of our mechanics announced loudly "I'm
dying for a fag". That drew some strange looks.
The circuit was laid out in the car park of Caesars Palace. There was much
pre-event publicity about the glamour of the Championship. Keke Rosberg who
confirmed his victory in the 1982 World Championship there, was interviewed
by a local journalist. "Does this remind you of Monaco?" he was asked. "No,
it reminds me of a car park" he replied. The days before sports stars were
briefed on what to say.
FD