Subject: [Leica] Amazon's long-term storage
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 01:35:05 -0400

I agree and am convinced that the world will with me as I already see it
happening that pigment, preferably carbon on 100% rag matt paper is the way
to go archivally but also coincidently aesthetically on printing today.
But the day you make your print with this burgeoning brand new technology it
starts to fade every single day it exits on the planet . A digital file will
not fade. I can see someone who hates all forms of digital you name it
liking it for one reason only. It's  stay the same ness. Its yes and no and
nothing in between ness. Its digital ness.  Every roll you shoot and process
is on the planet for only so many days before it fades to a point where it
is worthless. Even more so for any print you make. Back up your files on
more than one hard disk. Print it in the year 2525 using holograms with rare
earth minerals from the next galaxy. It will be just as viable as it is
today.
Archival-ness is the advantage of digital. Not it's disadvantage.

And a film negative or digital file on a disk is an original file.
Any print you make form it next year you'd do it better.
A print is a performance from an original file; a score.
Its not a final result. That's been a basic fact of photography since day
one and applies much more so now by a mile.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography