Subject: [Leica] Amazon's long-term storage
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:12:12 -0400

Sounds nice. Sounds a bit too good to be true. I would guess Amazon stores
the data on tape on multiple sites.

"Amazon Glacier is designed to provide average annual durability of
99.999999999% for an archive"

I am surprised that that level of durability is possible on perishable media
(and I don't really believe it :).

One aspect of archival storage of digital data which is often overlooked is
that digital data has to be regularly transcribed/converted to a current
format for the archive to be useful.

Regards,
Spencer