Subject: [Leica] PESO: House cake
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:43:39 -0400

By the way those black ufo's in the sky yesterday
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/focusit/play+our+food+game+sm.jpg.html
Are air bubbles on your film during development..
The way I and most my photo buddies figured out how to have have those crop
in when you least expect them and ruin their one in million shot is to
presoak. All that means is fill your tank with water with your film in it at
working temperature while you mix up your developer and lay out your sink.
Or time it for 2 or three minutes.
Pour out your water and pour in your developer.
You may need to add a minute to your developing time to get the same result
you are used to. Its worth it. The developing chemistry is intruded into
your emulsion in a kinder gentler way. It may make for smoother gradation
you never know I always thought it did.
Some add photo Flo to their pre soak. The consensus to the photographers I
knew in Portland was "not necessary". And "may be problematical".

Another good thing is after your tank is first filled with developer with
the film in it slam it down on the sink. They actually teach this in Brooks.
That may dislodge the air bubbles which wont be there if you pre soaked in
the first place.

I don't leave the house without pre soaking. Which reminds me I need more
Head & Shoulders as I'm fresh out. And which I never put on my hair when its
dry.
I find Pyrithione zinc 1% gives me better highlight separation on dark days.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography