Subject: [Leica] Some technical speculations re: rangefinder
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:40:14 -0700
References: <CAF8hL-EMSebH=YGfXU=qpuVyMbZxGjfH9cebK-BNVAS6oCMMkQ@mail.gmail.com> <p06240809cc308b2b92c9@192.168.1.103> <CAF8hL-H0Pne4ev8Q4Du2WD+8tGafOVa2YQ4r-m7qtzda+iBK-Q@mail.gmail.com> <p0624080ccc3121a4d6cf@192.168.1.103> <CAE3QcF4sTKjyGFWTgNf8xry==V0Cj3BpXvjtxxKA15ujBREc-A@mail.gmail.com> <8AE125E92F06484E99813B22B29761CB@syneticfeba505> <p0624080ecc315993f2df@192.168.1.103> <CAF8hL-FObtdfK56O7Ho_kQiG5SJxdfE9ykYD+w1Z_j6Zb5mcXQ@mail.gmail.com> <024301cd6830$74943000$5dbc9000$@earthlink.net>

If you remember film SLR cameras, they all had a focusing aid in the
center of the screen, implying that just focusing on a ground glass
was sometimes difficult. The first kind I saw were a couple of
shallow crossed prims in the center, giving the effect of a split
image rangefinder. Years ago, I did a calculation that I don't think
I'm competent to repeat now, but the calculation showed that the
image separation of the simulated rangefinder was equivalent to that
of a true rangefinder whose base was the diameter of the lens
aperture--i.e. piss poor. Then a better thing showed up, a large
cluster of micro prisms in the center. The hand shake of even the
steadiest photographer was enough to make an out of focus image
shimmer. However, on a tripod, this system was useless.

So, a viewfinder display derived from the image on the sensor would
be at best equivalent to that on a ground glass. To be practical,
this would have to be supplemented by a display of the kind of signal
that actuations auto-focus systems, for example, an indication of
local contrast, which decreases when going out of focus.

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org