Subject: [Leica] Tour de France
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:19:08 +0100

There are several aspects to consider with sports sponsorship.
Do you wish to sell your product worldwide or domestically? Is your product
susceptible to a one time boost?
Football (soccer) is a spectacularly popular sport worldwide, but not much
watched in the USA, so selling worldwide the World Cup may well be worth
sponsoring if your product is susceptible to a one time boost (the World Cup
football is over a short period once every 4 years) and are not that
bothered about the US market. American football is exceptionally popular in
the USA but little watched anywhere else in the World, so is probably ideal
for American domestic sales since there are lots of matches per year but
useless for worldwide exposure.
The Olympic games has the biggest worldwide TV coverage of all sports but it
also is concentrated over a relatively short period once every four years.
Grand Prix motor racing is the 3rd biggest tv spectator sport worldwide
(after Olympics and World Cup football) is on 20 times per year but, whilst
motor racing is popular with highest income groups in most countries, motor
sport is a "blue collar" sport in the US, and the fans like domestic not
international events, so selling to the US market Formula 1 is limited too.
The TdF is great but is only once a year and has a very specific demographic
of fans. Not many potential Leica purchasers I suspect...
And so on...
FD