Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 10/7/2012: Brunel's railroad + a little history
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:17:27 +0200

Wonderfully timeless railway shot!!

Isambard Kingdom Brunel (what a name!!) - one of the
great engineers and one of my childhood heroes. A
picture of the SS Great Britain hangs on the wall above
my desk

Almost everything he built was ahead of its time - like
the Great Western Railway, the SS Great Eastern (the
biggest ship of its time and held this record for over
40 years) , The SS Great Britain and the SS Great
Western and the amazing Atmospheric Railway.

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_events/atmospheric_railway.php

But almost everything went wrong in the end. Sadly his
ships were too big, nobody trusted the steam engines
they used and he picked the wrong gauge for his
railways(7ft/2.14m instead of Stephenson?s standard
gauge of 4ft 8.5/1.43 m). The GWR was forced by act of
Parliament to replace all its tracks and rolling stock
in the early 1890s.

As is often the case with big construction projects
today, Brunel's GWR cost twice as much as his estimated
costs and the Atmospheric Railway went bankrupt

BTW: Brunel also designed the cast iron gas street
lamps in Bath.

Cheers
Douglas

PS
The oldest railway in the UK is in my home town of
Leeds - the Middleton Railway - a colliery railway
built by Matthew Murray in 1758 and still in use today
(as a museum railway with steam traction since 1960).

This was the first true RAILway - in contrast to all
earlier attempts which used iron plates or blocks of
stone to support the trucks or waggons, his was the
first to employ iron rails carried on sleepers. The
first railway locomotive on this line was the
"Salamanca" in 1812 and the railway became the first
commercial railway to successfully use steam locomotives.

The first person ever to be killed in a railway
accident also died on the Middleton Railway - In
February 1813, John Bruce (aged 13) was hit and killed
by a train while running along the tracks. A rather sad
claim to fame.

There's more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middleton_Railway