Subject: [Leica] OT: Are we Anal or what? "The Puddle Jumper" / Re: How> about this one?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 19:46:00 -0400

The term was written by Jean Francois Paul de Gondi, Cardinal de Retz in the
17th century and was familiar to most literate French people for 400 years.
HCB' s French title for the books meant to the effect "snapshots".
But the publisher for the English version gave if this title which had been
a familiar phrase; and meant pretty much the opposite of HCB' s  title. HCB
shot faster then anybody I've ever seen I finally saw some document film of
him when I was in San Francisco on an LHSA thing. He could shoot a screw
mount faster than I've seen anybody shoot an M. he'd advance to the next
frame with one quick motion of his left thumb which turned the knob. It
looked like a Keystone cops movie... Sped up.  (under cranked)
HCB' s approach to photography was the same as any photojourinsit of that
era which is shoot like crazy, burn a lot of film and go over your contacts
with a fine tooth comb finding that one  magical shot which has everything.
Perfect composition and perfectly captured action. And a few other things
including a heavy dose of Je ne sais quoi. (I don't know what)
In other words the opposite of that "the decisive moment" connotes to most
people. If anything "the decisive moment"  would come when you find the shot
in your thick stack of contacts and put a big circle around it with a red
grease pencil.

What people think it means is to stand somewhere pretending to be invisible
and then go click when you think you've really got a shot and go home and
develop and print it. Not sure if anybody ever worked that way. But it
wasn't HCB.
Perhaps some people did with a sheet film camera. Maybe a large
Daguerreotypist. But I don't think somebody with a Leica with 36 pictures on
the roll.

There is nothing in the world which does not have its decisive moment, and
the masterpiece of good management is to recognize and grasp this moment."
"Il n'y a rein dans ce monde qui n'ait un moment decisif."
Jean Fran?ois Paul de Gondi, cardinal de Retz (September 29, 1613 ? August
24, 1679)

What HCB DID say was and I paraphrase from memory:
"perhaps your first 5000 rolls won't looks so good."

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/