Subject: [Leica] Leica M Monochrom
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 03:29:02 +0000

That is why I said I would like to know the difference in a 16" x 24" print,
all the Leica shown ones at the announcement sound to have been 27" x 40"ish
(one metre on the long side) and stunning - but few print that big.

john

Screen size: They make for 11 x 16 inches on a 72 pix per inch screen.

A Print: But its only on one of my 240 pix per inch matt prints a measly
3.33 x 5 inch inch image.

So that's not critical work. Nor would one which makes a 4x6 " jumbo
Walgreens snapshot. We'd hope for an 8x10 inch or 11x14. Maybe even a 16x20
to call it critical work. Typical portfolio sizes for photographers and
typical print sizes on the gallery walls as well. And typical for what you'd
give a portrait client. So your gear would need to be good enough to do
these and do them well.
And the newest cutting edge optics from Leica at these sizes are going to
give your work an evident edge.
I should say that photographers, commercial ones for sure often use tripods
and studio strobes. And slow film or nowadays slow iso settings.

The demand of websites and web galleries are very low as they are for images
a few hundred pixels across. And those could all be done on cell phone
cameras for all anyone would no or care.

And I think people who think they're never going to do critical work under
estimate themselves often. Because if you plan your workflo around making
5x7's sure as hell someone's going want a row of 8x10's of yours on their
wall and not all your images are going to maybe look so great at that size.

- - from my iRabs.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica M Monochrom)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica M Monochrom)