Subject: [Leica] Another MM Write up
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:24:34 -0400

Phil, don't let common sense get in the way! :-)

Ted, on your point, with the swelling ranks of the nouveau riche in BRIC
countries and a limited production capacity, maybe Leica can afford to leave
all of its old customers out in the cold. Who is buying $6k a la carte MPs
and M7s?

I would note that Leicas have at almost all times been extravagantly priced
for nonprofessional users, with the only times they were 'affordable'
seeming to have been (1) any of the times Leica was tanking - most recently
running up to the intro of the M8 or (2) where big technological shifts
knocked the floor out of used prices on film equipment.

Also, since the early 2000s, there has been inflation, and the dollar-euro
exchange rate has deteriorated very significantly. That's not to defend
Leica's up-marketing of itself. I suspect  that BRIC spending supports that,
just as I suspect it supports Omega's recent attempts to price itself into
Rolex territory.

Dante