Subject: [Leica] IMG: Friday's flowers - Lupinus along the Milwaukee River, Fox Point, WI
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:45:43 -0500

On May 25, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Aram Langhans wrote:

> My first clue was that it has 4 petals. That is typical of the mustard
> family. Looking closely I think I see some long fruits, so that is also
> typical of the mustard family. So, I hunted a bit and came across this:
>
> http://www.wildflowersofontario.ca/damesrocket.html
>
> Looks like it. Might not be this particular species that grows in
> Wisconson, but very closely related.
>
> Knew right away it was not a Lupine. Lupines are members of the pea family
> (leguminosae) , and have very typical pea-like flowers and easily
> recognizable palmate leaves. This guy is a cruciferae.
>
> Name not withstanding, it is a great photo with great lighting.

>> Thanks for taking a look Aram
>> I've added an image for ID purposes
>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/L1007979.jpg>
>>
>> not Lupin?
>>
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Regards,
>> George Lottermoser
>> george at imagist.com
>> http://www.imagist.com
>> http://www.imagist.com/blog
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist

DAME'S ROCKET IT IS and shall ever more be.

Thanks Aram! I've corrected the error;
both on the blog post and in my mind.
I've been calling these "purple lupine" for as long as I can remember.
Someone misinformed me - and I've spread the misinformation for decades ;~(
I know so very little about the flora that surrounds me.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com