Subject: [Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 19:40:16 +0930

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Lew Schwartz <lew1716 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a graphic of this anywhere?

I saw some graphs at my local dealer, but can't find them on the web.
 There is a graph for another sensor in this post:
7159637852_f17f2f07df.jpg<http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/7159637852_f17f2f07df.jpg>
at
RFF that looks generally similar.  Also note that the currently available
cameras are all pre-production and Leica has told beta testers that
spectral response and its interpretation by the firmware is one of the
things that will be tweaked prior to full production.

> I most obvious & consistent thing
> I've noticed in my M9 -> BW conversions is that faces seem to fall a
> zone or two lower than I'm accustomed to seeing from film.

How are you converting?  Channel mixing or dumping the colour data?  If you
do the latter the skin tones do end up too dark, but they did the same if
you tried to print colour media onto B&W paper back in the day.  I find
with proper channel mixing or an intelligent conversion program like SE Pro
that my skin tones end up exactly where I want them.

> There's an amazing amount of shadow detail to make up for this, so a little
> dodging looks terrific.

One of the things I am reminded of every time I use B&W film is that
getting enough shadow contrast (contrast, not detail) to keep me happy, and
balancing that with sharpness and overall tonality, is hard.  One reason
I've resisted using digital more widely is that I only shoot in monochrome
and I've spent 2 decades (half my life) getting it right.  I am painfully
aware that the problem with digital is still highlight rendition and
gradation, and when converting a digital file to B&W I have always felt
like I did when I first went into a darkroom - it works incredibly well
sometimes, but I don't know why, and much of the rest of the time it ends
up looking either only okay, or awful.

It is now time; some of my last batches of film that I took overseas got
damaged by x-rays, so it's time at least for travel to go to silicon, not
silver capture.

Marty

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)
Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)