Subject: [Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:36:03 +0930

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Frank Filippone <red735i at
earthlink.net>wrote:

> I was surprised that Leica provided a test image of the M9M with an orange
> filter.  I expected that the digital sensor would respond to filtration
> differently than film.

It does - the sensitivity curves of the CCD are very different to film (any
film).

> Maybe even requiring new filters to be
> developed/used that did what the old Wratten series  Y2, Or, K25 etc......
> sort of a look up table approach to digital Monochrome filtration.....

The current filters, however, work pretty much the same.

> Has anyone seen some filtration comments on the M9m?.

This is already an area where it is being criticised, particularly about
why you'd bother given the issue you raise below.

> Clearly that at the time of exposure, whatever you capture on "film" is all
> you can work with later post processing.  So filtering to increase contrast
> selectively ( for example ) per color is not available during PP??????

No, but you couldn't do that with B&W film either.  To do that you need a
colour original.

> Examples of what I was thinking: Increase the sky contrast to pop the
> clouds:  change the contrast of foliage relative to rocks of the same
> (otherwise) exposure value:

This is why you need your filters.  The sensor is slightly more sensitive
to blue than other colours and outdoors a light yellow is recommended to
make the output as close to panchromatic as possible.

Marty

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)
Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)