Subject: [Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 05:40:18 -0700

I was surprised that Leica provided a test image of the M9M with an orange
filter.  I expected that the digital sensor would respond to filtration
differently than film.  Maybe even requiring new filters to be
developed/used that did what the old Wratten series  Y2, Or, K25 etc......
sort of a look up table approach to digital Monochrome filtration.....
Maybe at this stage, we still don't know.....??????

Has anyone seen some filtration comments on the M9m?.

Clearly that at the time of exposure, whatever you capture on "film" is all
you can work with later post processing.  So filtering to increase contrast
selectively ( for example ) per color is not available during PP??????

Examples of what I was thinking: Increase the sky contrast to pop the
clouds:  change the contrast of foliage relative to rocks of the same
(otherwise) exposure value:

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

For some reasons, when I heard about the Leica MM, for no logical reasons at
all, I was imagining that the images would look like Tri-X, or other great
B&W film, just shot in ISO 100,000 or whatever.

Well, no, they look like digital images converted to B&W:
http://www.slack.co.uk/slack/henri_images.html

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] Shocking: MM images do not look like film!)