Subject: [Leica] Film + Scanner
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:47:29 -0700

Computers are hardly the same as cameras. Or cars, or most things that are
in large part mechanical. Leica cameras and lenses are still largely
mechanical. The M10 is reputed to be much less mechanical, which can result
in either a) lower prices or b) higher profits for Leica, which in turn can
lead them to expand production facilities, develop new products or just
remain as profits. In any case, Leica can continue whereas most other small
camera companies are gone. While I'm sure Leica is making money right now,
it's not like they are in a stable and readily sustainable position. R&D
costs per unit produced are huge, especially considering they are at the
leading edge in the opto-mechanical part. W.r.t. electronics they have to
purchase both hardware and software and they don't have much clout except
for the marketing clout their suppliers may gain from association with
Leica. The latter is certainly not a given, and the lack of economies of
scale certainly are a given.

Leica is at the moment one of the more profitable camera companies, and that
in Germany, not in Asia. On the other hand, 10 years ago it seemed very
unlikely that they would survive at all. I'd rather some products are priced
out of my reach (but not everyone's) than that the company be gone for good
or just visible in red dot stickon's on Panasonics.

Henning