Subject: [Leica] OT Gotta Rant/Uncle Ted :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 09:24:45 -0700

Herbert Kanner OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Gotta Rant

> Attn Uncle Ted:
>
> The hood isn't to protect the lens. It's to prevent flare when shooting
> close to the sun. At least, that's what I've been taught. Never did a
> controlled experiment to see if it really matters.<<<<<<

Good morning Herb,
The flare thing is an item in what I beleive to be in "older type lenses?"
Once again though I'm probably quite wrong when it comes to technical things
of this nature. Usually I'm far to busy paying attention to the "CONTENT!"
:-)

But the Noctilux is an amazing "anti-flare lens" with or without lens shade.
Night, no light, or lots of day light! :-)

If I'm using a lens and notice any flare I just squiggle myself to a
slightly different angle and the flare goes away.:-)

My 35mm Summilux 1.4  hood could be screwed in half to place a filter inside
the hood. But I rarely ever used filters. It was probably one of my most
used lenses therefore the most bent and banged. The hood that is! :-) Glass
is still beautiful. Finally I unscrewed the front half as it was bent in
several contortions and threw it away. Thus leaving the back half still
attached to the lens, I suppose giving a tiny bit of "hood action?"

I realize and know without question, I'm one of the least knowledgable
technical shooters on the list. :-(  But then I rarely ever read any of the
instruction manuals! I just picked it up and used a camera to shoot
pictures.
....... "NO QUESTION A MAJOR ERROR IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF ELECTRONICS!!" :-(

My old high school motto was "We learn by doing!" So that's always been one
of my ways of life. "Quite frankly it doesn't and didn't always work! ;-)
But if you screw-up enough times you eventually learn! ;-) However don't
make a habit of it!! :-)

Sometimes I think if you do not know about some technical things, then it
doesn't happen. Maybe my good fortune?:-)
Thank you for your post.

cheers,
ted