Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 23:42:45 +0900

Hi Jayanand,

about 8 years ago I bought a carbon fibre Gitzo G1257 and a Gitzo ball
head.  This was mainly for use with a view camera, but it is not too
heavy to use for general use either.

I later bought a gimbal mount so that I could use my 400/2.8 lens with
it.  Even with this heavy lens, the G1257 holds steady, although I
wouldn't want to use any lighter tripod with that set-up.

Anyway, my point is that on vacation in Shanghai I saw a camera store
with many Chinese made tripods that were indiscernible from Gitzo,
except for the label.  ... And the price.  I paid 90,000 yen for my
Gitzo, whereas these tripods were about a quarter that price.

A little Googling later found stories that Gitzo wanted to collaborate
with this Chinese company and gave them the plans for their 6x CF
series tripods.  The Chinese company ended up not collaborating, but
produced the same tripods themselves.  The company was Benro.  There's
also a company called Benbo which make tripods, which probably leads
to some confusion sometimes.
.
You might want to look into Benro.  I wish I'd known about them before
I bought my Gitzo.

Another tip, I have lost two of my three Gitzo feet.  They become
loose easily and are expensive to replace.  If I ever get around to
replacing them (maybe from Benro), I'll add a drop of Loctite to each

All the best,

Peter

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Tripods)