Subject: [Leica] Tripods
From: maurice at mckay3d.com (Maurice M. Greeson)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:00:28 -0600

I agree with Geoff Hopkinson.  My wonderful wife gifted me with a Gitzo 2531
for Christmas and I added a Kirk  Model FP-200N replacement base and a good
ball head with an Arca-Swiss type quick release.  This is what my brother in
law uses for bird photography in the field and mounts a Nikon D300 with a
Nikkor 600mm F/4 lens on a "Side Kick" gimbal mount.  I really think that
the Gitzo has a higher build quality.  I have mounted my 4x5 Speed graphic
with it's f/2.5 Aero Ektar and it is solid!
  It's not only about the weight factor, but longevity and sturdiness.  I
also like the method Gitzo uses for locking the legs. This tripod will
outlive me for sure!  (But I am getting kinda old!)
    If you can get to a dealer and play with the various models I would
surely recommend doing that.
Hey, it's late and I hope my fuzziness doesn't show in this post.
 Maurice