Subject: [Leica] Possible lens adjustments
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:48:48 +0000

Miniscule is fine, I am talking +10cm at 3m using f1.4. Also it has just
returned from a $$$ adjustment at Solms.

My right eye has 20/10 vision and that is the one I use to focus.

Results are consistent, I did one set and looked at the results before doing
more. The 75mm was in isolation but will try again next weekend using 50mm's
and the 90mm as well..... In normal use the Noctilux is spot on, a recent
shot at f1.0 and 1.5m is sharp.

thanks

john

John you may be seeing an error that is only apparent at the closer
distances. That is to say it is still there but masked by DoF sometimes.
That lens and the older Noctis would have to be the most demanding to work
with on the M9 of course. I think it is relatively common that they need
adjusting. The same spherical abberation that gives you 'creamy bokeh'
indicates that they must focus shift as well and of course even perfectly
adjusted the margin for error is miniscule wide open.. As far as I know the
adjustment standards are for wide open operation and you learn to work from
there when stopping down.

I would start with establishing what you camera does and what your vision
does. I mean be sure of where your baseline is.
How is your vision correction? One eye better than the other (mine are
different)
What do other lenses do in your test setup?
How consistent are the results when testing?
How about another shooter with your camera and Summilux?

Camera Clinic in Melbourne just adjusted my new Summilux 35 ASPH for me in
Australia which really surprised me. It came back perfect..

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman