Subject: [Leica] Doisneau
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:02:58 -0700

Marty Deveney OFFERED:" <benedenia at gmail.com>

> Robert Doisneau would have been 100 today:
>
> http://www.google.com.au/logos/2012/doisneau12-hp.jpg
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Robert+Doisneau&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tDiIT5v_OoXXrQeytfSiCw&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1341&bih=549
>
> I met him a couple of times.  I didn't know him well, but he was a guy
> who could really tell you what photography was about.  His archive was
> incredibly organised and he emphasized the importance of knowing where
> every photo was, all the time.

Hi Marty,
I always preferred his photography over Cartier-Bresson. And once again to
prove to myself I wasn't wrong, I have just gone through a book entitled:
ROBERT DOISNEAU 1912-1994  by Jean-Claude Gautrand
 A marvelous book that is alive with Doisneau photographs and I have gone
back and forth three times. A sort of enjoyment moment of appreciating the
very fine ability of capturing life with a camera!

If I were to draw a parallel of today and Robert Doisneau I would have to
say our own LUG member Lluis Ripoll <lluisripollquerol at gmail.com> is as
close as they come. His people, moments and observation are almost
faultless.

I have raised a couple of red glasses in the honour of DOISNEAU's 100th
birthday! :-) Unfortunately one can't say "and have many more!"  But we can
say... "He was a damn fine photojournalist of people in real life on the
street!"

Those I didn't include as equals to DOISNEAU please take no offence. It's
simply a one person opinion and we are always full of multi opinions as
that's what keeps the LUG alive and exciting! "WE THE PHOTOGRAPHERS" and our
choices.

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Doisneau)