Subject: [Leica] The world is awash with M9.......
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 03:06:53 -0400

That's what I think Erwin said. Maybe its true. (that a Summilux ASPH had
less flare than the 50mm Summicron ASPH)
He also I think says that in general  a smaller outer lens to air element is
less prone to flare.  Which I'm sure is basic optics 101. And goes on in
length about the huge demands an increase in speed puts upon the poor
optical designer (by the marketing department no doubt).
I'm comforted by the smallest outer optical element possible. With no filter
on it if possible. And simple compact lens designs from tried and true
concepts like Tessars and Planars. And Biogons not that I own one.
And wish I was shooting rangefinders as that would put less limits on how
slow a lens I can practically use.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/