Subject: [Leica] Eggleston
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:32:08 +0530

That is what I do - if I like it, and I think it is a reasonable price (a
subjective judgement, to be sure), I buy it. It is purchased for enjoyment,
not for investment, but over a long period (15 years and above) the
appreciation can be considerable. Of all my investments, the best returns
has been generated by my art collection (as in painting) - but most of my
canvases were bought 10+ years ago for peanuts, mostly direct from the
artist (why pay gallery commissions of 40%?). I do not think photographs
can ever generate the same returns - paintings are, after all, by their
very nature, extremely limited editions of one!!!

I have been buying photographs the last few years, though, in preference to
other forms of art.

Cheers
Jayanand