Subject: [Leica] Fishing
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 05:05:36 -0400

Wading birds are interesting to watch. Here in Indiana, we have Great Blue
Herons. They'll stand perfectly still for hours then grab a fish! I saw
one once grab an ENORMOUS bluegill (a common fish in the USA), which he
carried up to the shore to eat. He threw it on the ground, moved it around
so he could swallow the fish head first, and swallowed it. You could see
this big fish moving down his skinny long neck! Just as the fish finished
going down, the bird, still standing on the shore of the lake, reached
down and grabbed a fat bullfrog and swallowed that too!

My grandpa had a lake cottage where we would go to fish. One evening, we
caught a bunch of bluegills and left them alive in a floating metal cage
hanging on the end of grandpa's pier. The next morning, I awoke to grandpa
yelling "Goddamn bird's stealing our fish!" There was a heron standing on
the pier quickly reaching in the cage and swallowing fish as fast as he
could!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography