Subject: [Leica] Zeiss vs. Leica, was Fwd: 60mm Macro on Fuji X Pro 1
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 23:27:24 -0400

That was probably my post.
You don't read all of what you comment on? Tsk, tsk.
This is when you say you stuck your foot into your mouth, Mark.

BUT, let us belabor the topic. Your German vs. Japanese technical bias
sounds blindly biased. Simply because something was made by the
Japanese. There might be a word for that kind of bias that starts with
an "r".

If you would read your Leica pundit, Erwin, he himself says that the
Zeiss offerings are absolutely up to par with Leica as far as image
making is concerned. If that is what matters. If image making isn't
what matters then this is a different discussion altogether. Then it's
just one badge vs another but if you think that something is
intrinsically better simply because you spent more money on it and
you're wed to it via your pocketbook then you should study any luxury
good vs mid-range durable good. Lets take cars since that's an easy
analogy. Ferrari vs Honda. One costs much more than the other but
even though a Honda NSX and a Ferrari F430 can both drive the same
places, the Honda will last longer, get better gas mileage, be more
utilitarian. Does the same thing in a sporty package that can still
deliver speed and handling but at a lower cost all round.
Lincoln Continental Presidential series vs. Ford Crown Victoria with
police package. Exact same car with different attributes. The Lincoln
will drive smoother but the Crown Vic will last far longer and even go
faster. The Vic costs 1/3 what the Lincoln does.

Now we get to new Zeiss vs whoever. Leica, Schneider, Holga...
If you've used a Zeiss lens on a Leica then you know how good they are.
The ZM 21mm f/4.5 vs ANY 21mm that Leica or Schneider has put out. Even
match and the ZM comes out on top in a few cases. The 28mm ZM beats the
Elmarits. The list goes on. I've used ZM glass and the only reason one
can tell that it's a ZM lens is because it doesn't vignette as much as
the Leica designs do.

Phil Forrest
(I'm punchy tonight)

--