Subject: [Leica] Why don't we see more large-aperture wide-angle lenses?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:42:33 -0700

Relatively to Leica, they do. If you have some space (ie, allowable lens
size) you can afford to do your optical corrections with more and larger
elements of less expensive glass and still achieve decent quality. It's a
trade off.

Nikon and Canon as well as all others do use various higher cost glass, and
sometimes that's unavoidable, as with the anomalous dispersion elements that
were initially used mainly for longer telephotos to avoid the use of
crystalline flourite. As more of this glass was produced and costs went
down, it found its way into many other lenses as well. Still, the frontiers
of glass manufacturing were usually not of interest to Canon or Nikon for
lenses they intended to sell in the tens of thousands or more. It's more
cost effective to simulate the effect of one lens of exotic glass with 3
elements of more ordinary performance (and cost). Still, some lenses and
their performance characteristics are still out of reach of the volume
manufacturers. Witness the 50/1.4's of Canon, Nikon and Leica. No contest,
either in price nor performance.

On the other hand, neither Canon nor Nikon has challenged the performance of
the Panasonic 25/1.4 or 20/1.7 with their 'standard' focal length lenses. :-)

Henning