Subject: [Leica] Why don't we see more large-aperture wide-angle lenses?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:21:08 -0700

To do a wide angle fast lens, you will need retrofocus design, even for
rangefinder where there's no mirror box. The mostly symmetrical designs
like the Biogon do not scale to fast aperture. If I understand it
correctly, a retrofocus would be like putting a reducer at the back of a
longer than wide angle lens, thus adding complexity. And since fast lens
make the aberration situation worse, further complex design is needed to
control them. So it's sort of like a double whammy.

In that sense, while the Summilux 21 is huge by Leica M standard, it's
still a svelte lens for what it does.