Subject: [Leica] S2 vs. 645D sensor
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:21:37 -0400

I shot a lot of medium format film.
I shot events with a Hasselblad for the most part.
Not Nikon or Leica.
I shot a lot of 220 Kodak tri x pro which was iso 320 and was tri x only in
name. I specialized in black and white. People thought that was artsy.
With the added size of medium format film and its need for more depth of
field it was a clear candidate for using a higher iso film then you would
when you shot 35mm. You'd not see the grain and you needed it
But you couldn't do it.
Because for the most part they didn't make it the stuff.
Neopan 1600 or color neg pro 1600 films didn't come in 120 let alone 220.
So it was a very frustrating thing.
What make it possible to do what did grabbing people in action with my
Hasselblad and sometimes even my Rolleiflex was my Norman 200C flash.
I was an f11 guy at 8 feet and be there. This was a manual flash with a
battery pack on your hip.

I wound have LOVED it if they made faster than 400 films in Brownie film for
my medium format cameras.
It never happened.
Shooting iso 320 or 400 films with those cameras was overkill to the max.
As it was in the end shooting those films with 35mm format.  And shooting at
those ISO's now with digital full frame. Overkill. Unless I plan on covering
some of the larger walls at Grand Central Terminal which is not on my short
list.
I think of the 400 iso area now as "high rez".
Much like I thought of Panatomic or Agfapan 25 in the 1980's.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/